1 kg small prawns
850g other seafood
6 cups water
6 cups chicken stock
3 tbs vegetable oil
350g packet rice vermicelli
4 cups thin coconut milk
2 cups thick coconut milk
1 cup fish cakes, sliced (optional)
1 cup fish balls (optional)
6-8 dried red chillies
3 tbs dried prawns
1 stalk lemongrass, inner stalk
1 medium brown onion
2 tsp galangal powder
1 tbs coriander seeds, finely ground
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp sweet paprika
8-10 macadamia nuts
1 tsp lemon zest
3 tbsp peanut oil
6 fresh red chillies
4 small Asian onions, or ¼ Spanish onion
½ tsp roasted shrimp paste
1 tsp tamarind
½ cup warm water
½ tsp sugar (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
250 gm fresh sprouts
1 green cucumber, julienned
1 small bunch Vietnamese mint or wild mint
1 lime, cut in 6 wedges
Fried Asian shallots (sold in packets, cooked)
- Prepare all garnishes.
- Remove the stringy part of the lemongrass for later use. Keep the soft end of the lemongrass for making the paste.
- For a milder soup, remove seeds from dried chillies by breaking and shaking out the seeds. Soak chillies in hot water for 10 minutes until softened.
- Soak dried prawns in water for 20 minutes until soft.
- Drain chillies and prawns and combine soft end of lemongrass, onion, galangal, coriander seeds, turmeric, paprika, lemon zest and macadamia nuts in a blender until smooth.
- Heat peanut oil in a pan and fry the Laksa paste. Once the oil starts to separate the paste is done. Add seasoning to taste.
- Soak tamarind paste in water for 5-10 minutes. With your fingers, dissolve the paste, then squeeze out the tamarind juice and discard the pulp.
- Blend red chillies, onions and shrimp paste in a mortar and pestle until fine. Add tamarind juice, salt and sugar to taste. This may be fried or served fresh. Set aside for garnish.
- Peel the prawns and clean other seafood. Make stock with the prawn shells and the 6 cups water.
- Season seafood separately and gently fry in 1 tbs of oil. Set aside.
- Heat Laksa paste and add the prawn and chicken stock. Allow to simmer slowly while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a stock pot, add lots of water. Bring to boil and scald the noodles in boiling water for a few minutes. Drain and set aside.
- If using, blanch the fish cake slices and fish balls in the soup.
- Divide noodles amongst serving bowls, top with assorted seafood, bean sprouts, cucumber, Vietnamese mint and fried shallots.
- Add coconut milk (thin and thick) to the simmering soup and allow it to heat through. Adjust the seasoning and pour over the noodles and garnishes.
- Serve with a small amount of Sambal Belacan.